Things To Do (Summary)This page provides a brief summary of the local activities. For details simply click on the "More Information" links.
Walking and Cycling
The area is lovely for walking or cycling. Bikes are provided and can be found in the barn.
More Information: Walking and Cycling
Exploring Historic Sites
Exploring historic sites: Roman amphitheatres at Saintes and near Rouillac. Maps are available in the house.
Exploring historic churches: the area is renowned for its Romanesque churches.
More Information: Culture and History
Visiting Local Towns
- Cognac: for its historic old river side quarter and famous Cognac houses and museums.
- Angouleme: for its cathedral, city ramparts and museums.
- Saintes: Roman ruins and river trips on the Charente.
Visiting The Coast
Lots of choice for beautiful resorts and beaches all about an hour or so drive, for example...
- St Georges de Didonne
- Palais sur Mer
Lovely shops in Saintes, Angouleme and Cognac. For everyday shopping use Matha (10 min drive).
More Information: Shopping and Markets
Annual Cognac Blues Festival in July. Summer Classical Concerts at Aulnay Church.
For other musical events please see local Tourist Office. In previous years we have been to a Hippie Festival and open air Jazz Concerts.
More Information: Music
- Volley Ball across the road in Marie gardens.
- Tennis at Les Touches (3 min drive)
- Swimming lakes at Thors and Les Gours (10-20mins)
- Modern swimming pools at St Jean d'Angely and Rouillac (25 min drive)